Tofino is a beautiful place, especially in the summer. Hiking, surfing, biking, or camping – you can do it all there. Take your camera, charge your batteries, and enjoy the drive too!
Not only are the buildings and grounds beautiful, but the university is good too!
If you like fish and chips, Barb’s Place is great. They close for the winter, though, so this is just a summer treat.
I like the conservatory. It’s a tropical garden in Vancouver! The winter is a great time to check it our and escape from the cold.
Trip and Travel
These words, when used to describe journeys or voyages, are basically synonyms, but there are some differences in their connotations and grammar.
Trip is a count noun, and it is also a verb meaning “to fall over.” A trip could be a short or long distance, and it could take a short or long time. We use it to talk about the whole voyage or journey. We usually use it with the verbs plan, take, or go on.
- I planned a trip to Egypt to see the pyramids. (emphasizing the whole time away or the complete voyage)
- I took many trips in Vancouver: I went to Whistler, Deep Cove, and Stanley Park. (emphasizing the number of adventures)
- She went on a trip last week, so she wasn’t in school.
Travel is usually a non-count noun and a verb with a similar meaning. In contrast, however, it is always a long time and a long distance.
- Last year, I traveled to 6 countries.
- My travel took three months.
If we use it to describe a short journey, we are comparing it to a long journey. This might be a joke, or to show how unhappy we are with it.
- I have to travel to Kitsilano every day from Granville Street. I hate my homestay!
- Please bring me the remote control. I am sick, and I don’t want to travel to the other sofa to get it.
Qualicum Beach in the summer is a great place to relax, play frisbee, or build sandcastles. There’s even a sandcastle competition every summer!
Calgary is home to the Flames hockey team, lots of snow, and great museums. When the economy is strong, there can be many good jobs here too, especially in natural resource areas.
Whistler has the finest skiing and snowboarding in Canada. Some say the best in North America, even. In the summer there’s hiking and mountain biking, too.
Banff. Winter sports galore!